Originally sent 3/23
As we move into week 2, we want to make sure all our students are able to connect with their classroom communities. In order to do so, we are starting some new things this week:
1. If your child needs a Chromebook to be able to do his/her school assignments, please let the teacher know. I have asked teachers to dojo/remind/email families who they already know are in need of a device. We will also be giving preference to those families who have more than one school-aged child in the home who is participating in e-learning. I will share more details, including an agreement distribution details soon.
2. Starting this week, every Wednesday, we will have the Budlongbeautiful Rainbow Challenge. This challenge asks our students to draw a rainbow, add a B or another Budlong symbol in the drawing, and hang in their windows for all to see. Thank you to Ms. Kritikos, PK teacher, for sharing this idea, and to one of her student's parents for adding that we can make an amazing #Budlongbeautiful rainbow trail :)
3. The Habits of heart, mind, and work are so important right now, and we are very proud of the commitment and compassion students are displaying. Teachers will be selecting Students of the Week who have exhibited these traits, from home. The first grade level up is 8th grade. Stay tuned for a mid-week announcement.
4. Some teachers have been videotaping read alouds of their favorite books, including chapter books. Starting this week, we will be sharing read alouds on our webpage for all students to enjoy. Be sure to check those out mid-week.
Please let me know if there is something I can help with.
Originally sent 3/20
Dear Budlong Families,
Even with the "Stay at Home" order issued by our Governor, to go into effect tomorrow evening, CPS will continue to distribute food from 9 - 1pm Monday through Friday. Please see the email below* from CPS.
*See "3/20 Update on CPS Closures" below for listed email. <CLICK HERE TO FIND 3/20 Update>
Originally sent 3/19
The Mayor has announced that CPS will remain closed through April 20. The return date for students is now April 21. Budlong teachers will be updating their lesson plans and will communicate the additional work and resources to their students and families directly.
While this move may seem extreme, it is one of many the city is putting forth toward curbing the spread of COVID-19. There is nothing more important than the health and safety of our children, and all of our residents.
Have a good night.
Originally sent 3/15
We recognize how difficult the school closure is on our students, families, and the entire school community. Keeping a routine and engaging in schoolwork will help our students cope during this unprecedented time. All school personnel are hard at work creating lessons and assignments for all students during the two week closure. Please expect correspondence from teachers tomorrow with details on assignments.
Please keep in mind:
* School is open tomorrow, but if your student will be absent, please email your student's teacher, as normal, to excuse the absence. Please note, other than students and school personnel, we will be limiting entry to the building, even to parents, tomorrow as a safety precaution.
* All after school programs tomorrow are cancelled, including Girls in the Game and Budlong After Care.
* Budlong, and all CPS, will be closed from 3/17-3/30. Please do not send your student to school.
* The building will be cleaned thoroughly during the closure.
* Healthy meals will be available to our students. Free food boxes that will contain three days of breakfast and lunches for every student in the household. All families will be able to pick up meals at their nearest CPS school beginning Tuesday, March 17, between 9 a.m and 1 p.m. daily. Lunchroom staff will prep, bag, and provide meals outside of the school building.
* All of the days during this initial closure March 17-30 will be considered Act of God Days and will not be made up.
* Friends of Budlong is standing by ready to help. You can contact FOB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I will continue to send updates to keep everyone informed. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me with questions and concerns.
Principal Naomi Nakayama