After this week, we only have three weeks of school left. While things are so different than they have ever been, we are still able to keep some things pretty close to "normal." Please see all the info below:
Talent Show: Tonight at 7pm!!!!!
Please note that you must sign in with your CPS account to view. (Kinder and 1st grade students have been contacted with a different viewing option since they do not have CPS emails).
Student of the Week:
The Fourth Grade Team has selected Makaylah McGhee for student of the week! Way to go, Makaylah! Here is why they believe she is so deserving of this recognition: Makaylah is demonstrating the habit of work by attending her live instruction classes with enthusiasm, and positivity. She puts in a tremendous amount of effort to complete assignments, and stays on task while demonstrating the habits of mind. When she goes outside she takes pictures to share with her classmates. She communicates well with teachers, asks for help when needed, and shows a tremendous amount of effort. Makaylah holds others accountable by texting them to come to class, and is always encouraging others to try their best, thus encompassing the habit of heart.
Item Pick-up: The plan was created in accordance with District and public health guidelines. Everyone's health and safety remains our priority, therefore, we are asking that everyone adhere to the safety measures and schedule. We are a school of 700 students, and in order for this process to be both efficient and safe, we need everyone to work together.
Safety Protocol for coming to school to pick up items:
DO NOT come to school if you meet any of the criteria (we will make alternate arrangements):
For PK - 4th grades, we are asking that families drive to school, enter the kiss n go parking lot on Wynona, stay in the car and wait in line while your student's items are brought to you. Student items will be bagged ahead of time and ready for distribution on the assigned date and time. Staff members will be waiting in the kiss n go area, asking for your student's last name, and then bring his/her bag to your vehicle (like Portillo's). If your child is on PK-4th, and you prefer to walk to school, please see the schedule for that time. Please arrange with your child's teacher if you have a schedule conflict.
For 5th - 8th graders, students can walk to the school and pick up their items alone or with one guardian. Staff will be there to direct people. If you would prefer, you can also utilize the kiss n go option. Just let your child's teacher know.
* June 9 - 1st grade (by car) 9 - 11am, (walking) 11 - noon; 5th grade (walking) 12 - 2pm
* June 10 - 2nd grade (by car) 9 -11am, (walking) 11 - noon; 6th grade (walking) 12 - 2pm
* June 11 - 3rd grade (by car) 9 - 11am, (walking) 11 - noon; 7th grade (walking) 12 - 2pm
* June 12 - Kinder (by car) 9 - 11am, (walking) 11 - noon; 8th grade (walking) 12 - 2pm
* June 15 - 4th grade (by car) 9 - 11am, (walking) 11 - noon
* June 16 - PK (by car) 9 - noon, (walking) 12 - 2
* June 17 - make-up day
Now that Alderman Vasquez has been in office for one year, the 40th Ward is seeking feedback so we know what we're doing well and how we can improve. Our Alderman is asking that we share this survey with our school community as he wants to hear from people who live, work, and attend school in our ward. Here is the link to the survey: bit.ly/40thOneYearSurvey
Thank you, and please take care.
Memorial Day Weekend Greetings. I hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine :)
* Congratulations to seventh grader Ben Dorsey! He won 2nd place in the after school category at the Chicago Student Invention Competition! Judges loved his innovative business plan to bring books to people through a bookmobile. After developing the idea during entrepreneur club, he took things one step further during remote learning and created pitch videos for the virtual CSIC competition. Ben will now go on to compete at nationals! Ms. Scheiber is the sponsor of the Budlong Entrepreneurs Club.
* Budlong Talent Show - Congrats to all our student performers and to Ms. Teresa for organizing and creating a virtual show for all to enjoy. The recorded show will stream this Thursday at 6 and then again at 7pm. Please join to see our Budlong talent:
* Student belongings pick up: A schedule is forthcoming. We are looking to start the week of 6/8. In order for this process to be safe and efficient for our families and staff, I ask that you take all necessary precautions and adhere to the guidelines, such as wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. Again, details will be shared with the schedule closer to 6/8.
* The PK application is now open, and can be accessed here: https://cys.mycopa.com/familyPortal/welcome.epl
* New outdoor turf at Budlong is on the way! Alderman Vasquez helped get this expensive request granted for Budlong. I'm grateful to him for his efforts and soooo excited about having a new, clean outdoor field surface for our students. This project, along with the current work inside the school, brings many deserved upgrades for our school, and our school community.
*CPS Food Distribution Sites:
*Friendship Center: In addition to the CPS food distribution locations, our neighborhood pantry is the Friendship Center. Please visit this link for more information about their services in our community, and on how to donate:
Wishing you a #budlongbeautiful weekend.
Friendship Center: In addition to the CPS food distribution locations, our neighborhood pantry is the Friendship Center. Please visit this link for more information about their services in our community, and on how to donate: https://friendshipcenterchicago.org
Food Distribution Sites: please remind your families about the food distribution sites: https://schoolinfo.cps.edu/mealdistributionsites/index.html?timePeriod=postspring
PK Application: The application launch date has been changed to May 21. To get the latest information, sign up for emails from the Office of Early Childhood Programs, please visit: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/chicagoearlylearning/home/connect.html
International Day: It is scheduled for June 12. Even though we cannot visit the world at Budlong, our students will bring it to all of us. Your student's teacher will be sharing more information in the coming weeks.
Eighth Grade Graduation: Surprises are in store for graduation, and other end of year celebrations. We will start the celebration by spotlighting three students a day on the Friends of Budlong Facebook and Instagram pages. Thank you to FOB for posting, and to Ms. Crespo for designing the announcements!
Here’s the Instagram link:
Weekly Announcements: This week's announcements, featuring Mohammedhanzalah Behlim, 8th grader:
Remote Learning Survey: If you have not yet taken it, please do. Your input is needed!
English | Arabic | Spanish | Vietnamese
Picking up items from school: The District is putting together guidelines and those are expected soon. A schedule will be shared with families thereafter. Thank you for your patience.
Have a good week!
Happy Mother's Day to all Budlong moms! Hoping you had a great weekend with those you love most.
GoCPS: Round 1 applications: Budlong kindergarten is the place to be! Round 2 will be underway in a few weeks. So many of our eighth graders were accepted at top tier high schools. Way to go!
Remote Learning Survey: If you have not yet taken the survey, please do so. The results will help us adjust as we continue remote learning.
English | Arabic | Spanish | Vietnamese
Celebrations: We will be sharing information soon on alternative end of year celebrations, like graduation. Please stay tuned :)
Thank you: Thanks to FOB for being so thoughtful and generous with gift certificates to the yummy Sweet Pepper restaurant! Staff is so excited as we love their food, and because it shows our support for a restaurant that has supported Budlong. Yay Teacher Appreciation Week!
Student of the Week: Congratulations to sixth grader, Juan Gonzalez. Juan has shown the habits of heart, mind, and work every day in school and during remote learning. He has always been a quick thinker and problem solver throughout the school year, and when faced with challenges, he is a person who teachers believe shows the habit of mind to complete the task. Juan’s biggest strength is his work ethic. He has been faced with challenges using technology during remote learning, but he continues to work extremely hard to complete all work. Juan is persistent in leading his group through a project, contacting teachers on his own, and making sure he puts together quality work. He has kept a great sense of humor and gets along with his classmates well. We are proud to have Juan Gonzalez as the 6th-grade student of the week.
-The Sixth Grade Team
Student Announcer, Gianna Odesho (8th grade): Great job, Gianna, on delivering the announcements! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QnxtXQ5ilysTdX3pYDWGxzbcd3eusbcX/view
GoCPS Notifications: Round 1 Notifications are scheduled for May 8 (this is for families who applied through GoCPS because they live outside our attendance area and have a student enrolling for the first time for the 2020-21 year). Students who live within our attendance area, and who will be new to Budlong next year, can start the e-enrollment process here: http://budlong.cps.edu/new-k-8-enrollment.html
Thank you to FOB for the wonderful video!!!! On behalf of all the staff, thank you! It's a beautiful expression. We know that you're all teachers, too, so please know we appreciate you and your tremendous efforts, our fellow educators!
Parent Portal: If you recently signed up for Parent Portal, you should have received an email in the days right after Report Card Pick-up. Please be sure to read through that email so you can activate the account and access your student's grades.
New Student Enrollment: For students new to Budlong, including kindergartners, please follow the link to enroll. Registration takes place in August for returning students.
Remote Learning Survey: Here are links to the short survey in English, Arabic, Spanish, and Vietnames. Please complete by Tuesday, 5/12.
English | Arabic | Spanish | Vietnamese |
Principal Naomi Nakayama